Monday, May 18, 2015

keeping up




Rye socks, in size L and S
Pattern: Rye by tincanknits
Yarn: Ístex Lopi Hosuband
Needles: 3.5mm and 4.5mm












Once upon a time I thought I couldn't knit socks. Then I defeated that dragon and will now live happily ever after in my kingdom of handknit Christmas presents. I am keeping up with my gift schedule for next Christmas and have now completed five gifts and am almost half way done with the sixth. Each gift is a joy to knit and I try to think many kind and positive thoughts about each receiver while I'm knitting his or her present. So in a way, this year's presents will end up having giving me a lot, too. Oh, and The Rye sock pattern is free on Ravelry and I can now recommend it for inexperienced, wannabe sock knitters. Simple and lovely. 

This weekend's nature adventure was shared with our dear friends. At first we opted for a mountain hike (suitable for kids) but due to too much snow on the trail we backed out of that. Instead we took to Lake Hafravatn and had a picnic. Some went for a walk, some threw rocks into the lake, some drank a lot of coffee and soaked up the sun and talked and talked and talked. (I did that). Úlfur tested the waters a little too vigorously  and had to change clothes. It was one of those moments where I really feel like "someone's mother". Someone's not-so-understanding-totally-annoyed-and-yelling mother. It turned out all right though, and we forgot about the whole thing minutes later. Still, I thought about it a little before going to bed last night, how impatient and unfair I had been. It is a reminder that keeping up with school and gift making counts for something but what really counts is being able to control myself in moments of parenting challenges. I'm keeping that in mind today. 

I hope you all had a good weekend! 

1 comment:

  1. Controlling yourself in moment of parenting challenges - that is a challenge that all parents have! I know that I tend to be too quick to yell and whenever I do it, I tell myself to be more patient. I don't know what parts of childhood my daughter will remember and I don't want it to be the moments of me yelling and being short with her. Great pictures and those socks look warm and toasty.

    ReplyDelete