Tuesday, August 19, 2014

balanced knitting



I cast on a new Lopi wool sweater last week, this time for my brother-in-law, Tumi, who is one of the sweetest persons I know. He often babysits for us and the kids adore him because he's so sweet and has a calm, warm presence. So I thought it was time to repay him with a handknit. I am following a pattern I've wanted to try for a long time, it's called Vetur and is so much fun, also because Vetur means "winter" in Icelandic and me and Tumi are both Game of Thrones fans. It's really an enjoyable knit. He picked out the colors himself and I am not disappointed - it's knitting up so beautifully.

I really need to be following at least one pattern exactly these days too, because I am also in the process of making my first pattern from scratch. Knitwear design alert! These are to be longies for Úlfur, something like those jogging sport pants that are so comfortable for kids but just better: Homemade with wool. The pattern is of course a secret so I can (perhaps, hopefully, wish me luck!) publish it in the future. But the yarn is my favorite, the amazing, soft, gorgeous superwash wool Yaku from Strikkebogen. I'm almost done with the pattern and am now just test knitting. 

ps. In the background of the Longies photo you can also catch a glimpse of my first attempt at a nature table. I have no idea what I'm doing and now that I've added some shells, flowers, an autumn candle and berry leaves, I'm out of ideas. I have not had a Waldorf upbringing and have never even seen a nature table in my life. Please share with me your tips in a comment if you have any good ones! Thanks :) 

pps. Crafting on and along with Frontier Dreams, this is becoming a weekly thing I guess...

5 comments:

  1. Your brother-in-laws sweater looks lovely, it sounds like he really deserves it. The nature table is a wonderful idea, I think children really enjoy being able to touch things from the outdoors.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really does! I tried it on him yesterday and the huge smile on his face when he saw his sweater-to-be really inspired me to keep on knitting ;)

      Delete
  2. gorgeous knitting - as always - very inspiring!!
    I grew up in a Steiner School and we always had a nature table, and still do- I think the most beautiful ones are the ones that happen naturally- there's no right way :) yours is already lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - thank you for this insightful tip :) I guess I just have to be patient and let it evolve naturally.

      Delete
  3. The sweater looks as though it is coming on a treat and the colourwork is looking fantastic. Looking forward to seeing your pattern published!!

    ReplyDelete