Wednesday, July 16, 2014

camping in Þórsmörk


This photo really captures the strange weather we had that day: Sun, light clouds, dark clouds and pouring rain.

Snacking in the tent.




Inside Sönghellir cave. It is huge. Sönghellir means "cave of song" and minutes after Oddur took that photo, a group of people came and started singing. It made the cave exploring even more fun. 
A very helpful and lovely tourist took this photo of us. The light isn't perfect but I'm just very thankful to have a family photo from our trip :)


Yarn: Snældan nappað tógv (5 threads)
Needles: 5.5 mm for cuffs and 6.5 mm for the main part
Pattern: Lopi wool sweater Strýta, but adding a zipper and hood. 



The Lopi jumpsuit I knit really is a great item when camping - Úlfur started using it one and a half year ago and it's still too big! I swear it's growing along with him, maybe he´ll still be wearing it as a grown up? :)


Our weeking camping in Þórsmörk national park was amazing. Although it did rain a little bit we were well dressed and it didn't bother us at all. Úlfur was thrilled and staying in our cozy (aka small) tent was such an an adventure to him. To get to Húsadalur valley, where we were staying, we had to cross rivers that are absolutely flooding and scary so I took the bus with the kids and our equipment instead of tempting to drive on my own while Oddur ran his super 55 km trail run. He had some trouble as this was not his best day of running but he did manage to finish in less than 8 hours - I'm so proud of him! After welcoming and congratulating him at the finish line we just enjoyed nature and spent the night in the tent, listening to the rain. We went for a walk the day after and Oddur let me snap a few photos of the sweater I just finished and gave him. I am very happy with the outcome and so is he :)

I hope we'll be able to go camping another time this summer but we'll have to see since I have some news to share... (no, not pregnant...) ... we are moving! And very soon, only in two weeks. So packing, packing and more packing it is. I'm so excited, our apartment is way too crowded as it is and I can't wait to get some more space. Mind you, I don't need a whole house but there are limits to how small you can go without feeling like you live in a storage room. More on the moving business soon, off to bed I go. 

5 comments:

  1. Ég hef svo gaman af því að lesa bloggið þitt svo fallegar myndir og handavinna. Mér finnst sérstaklega kraginn hennar Ósk vera ÆÐI :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Takk fyrir! Ég les einmitt líka bloggið þitt og hef mjög gaman af :)

      Delete
  2. wonderful!! really beautiful knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you knit all of those clothes?! That is absolutely amazing. I LOVE that jumpsuit and my husband would love a hooded sweatshirt like that. He has several Icelandic sweaters, that were actually knitted in Iceland and he lives in them all Winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, well, I knit the jumpsuit in 2011-2012 and the hoodie in 2014. And he does get a lot of wear out of it, I'll probably end up making another one pretty soon. It's so cool that you guys have Icelandic sweaters over there! Have you ever tried making one? Or knitting with Lopi wool?

      Delete