Wednesday, May 14, 2014

first day of summer gifts (better late than never)











Pattern: Night cap by Lucinda Guy
Size: 1-2 years in sts and 4-5 years in length for Úlfur, 73 sts to begin with and 11 cm to fit baby Ósk
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino
Needles: 3.5 mm

It makes sense that the First Day of Summer is a traditional holiday here in Iceland, since summer is such an important season with it's (finally!) bright, warm days and possibilities of growing vegetables and gathering food for winter. Traditionally, children receive gifts related to outdoor playing and I wanted to make my kids these adorable, simple hats. This year First Day of Summer came up on April 24, my birthday none the less, and although I had grand plans to finish both hats in time I only managed to finish the larger one for Úlfur. He was thrilled with it and usually pretends to be a gnome when wearing it. That makes me so happy. I love it when I can make him things that are useful and inspire his imagination at the same time. And now I've finished them both, finally! I´m very happy with the outcome (except maybe for the yarn... I'll try again later with a different type I suppose. The microfiber part of it bothers me a bit). We visited the beach today for some digging action and photoshoot time. The lighting was terrible as the sky was filled with dark clouds. I did my best and crossed my fingers that I'll be able to get a new camera real soon. What really matters is a) that it was a fun day and my kids were happy b) that I can now move on to my neglected mystery shawl kal, which is such a joy to knit and I can't wait to wear. 


ps. Both children are wearing sweaters that my mother knit for them.We are so lucky :) Takk mamma!

No comments:

Post a Comment