Friday, September 26, 2014

we went to Greece...

Let me begin this post by apologizing for this horrid amount of photos. Our surroundings were just so beautiful - not to mention my fellow travelers photogenic - that I could not help myself with the camera! I don't feel like blogging about this for days to come so I'm sticking with posting it all at the same time.

First morning in Greece: The morning sun shining on the harbor of Rafina. We took the ferry to Andros from there. 



Our private pool - the view wasn't too bad!


I believe this is a photo of my baby sleeping in a suitcase (!!). We had been promised there would be a baby bed but alas, there wasn't. Luckily my parents had a huge suitcase which served as her bed. (Ósk has trouble with co-sleeping so that wasn't an option). As you can see, she slept just fine in the suitcase. 


I took this photo lying in bed. Ah, the luxury!



Andros Island has natural, fresh water springs. This ancient water shed was just 5 minutes from our house. 




Olives, everywhere. 

A view over Ormos Korthiou, where we stayed for 10 days. 






The Agios Petros Tower is since the 4th or 3rd century BC. 

My mother gathering her flock for a photo.





Napping in the car... 


We visited the Cyclades Olive Museum. Interesting and good fun. 


I have been dreaming of seeing the temples at Agropolis since I was a teenager. That smile was pretty much stuck on my face from dusk til dawn the day that dream came true. It was not a letdown, let me tell you!

Athens seen from Agropolis.







... and we've been back for almost a week now. Unpacking, getting everyone into daily routine and trying to catch up on the mountains of schoolwork waiting for us has taken a lot of time and blogging has been left in the cold. Until now, of course. I uploaded the photos from the trip last night and wanted to share them right away. 
This trip was lovely in so many ways, we were invited along by my family and their company was very precious. Andros Island is beautiful, very unspoiled and not at all crowded. I can truly recommend it for all who are looking for a quiet, sunny vacation with a touch of history. Athens is also amazing with it's current, controversial atmosphere mixed with ancient ruins, tourism and beautiful street art. We were treated very well everywhere we came and the food was always good. Not too expensive, either. We never felt like we were in a "tourist trap". 

The children loved the beach and the ocean, I hope we'll get to go to a warm place like this one again sometime. Now I must get back to reading Shirley by Charlotte Bronte since I have to finish it by Monday. I decided to go for a MA in cultural theory (or I think that's the best translation) and one of my classes is in "How women are represented in Literature". Love it! It's hard doing all the reading and studying and essay-writing and researching with two children, though. I'm taking one day at a time and doing my best... so off I go. Shirley is waiting!

3 comments:

  1. oh how wonderful! your photos are beautiful and your holiday looks amazing. i've never been to greece, but hope to someday. so glad you were able to see the place of your dreams. (you have a lovely smile).

    so sweet you baby in the suitcase, many many years ago we did the very same thing with my first child!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet another thing we have in common, then! Thank you for your kind words :)

      Delete
  2. Gosh you are hilarious! The picture of your little one in the suitcase... Plus your comment :-)
    Big smile on my face!
    Beautiful pictures of dreamlike traveles too!
    Lena x

    ReplyDelete